Nowadays most of the college students and many individuals become victims of depression very easily. In India too many people are suffering from depression or any other mental illness. Similarly, about 36% of people in India have suffered from severe depression at some point in their lives. Nowadays depression has become a serious issue in most of the college campuses of the country and the world. There can be many reasons for this like, these days college students have to face many challenges like academic competition and self-finance together. Starting their new life in a college, hostel or PG in an unknown city is also very challenging for these students which increases their stress level. This stress is quite different from depression and depression is actually a very serious problem or disease. Nevertheless, once you know, you can avoid this depression forever by adopting some simple yet effective measures. Therefore, it is important for Indian college students as well as all other people to understand this problem immediately, solve their depression problem in time and make their life meaningful. Let us now discuss this in detail:
Major Symptoms of Depression in Indian College Students and Others
Just like there are many symptoms of physical diseases – yellowing of skin and eyes, black/blue nails, hair fall or spots on the skin, in the same way, people suffering from depression also show the following symptoms that they have suffered from depression such as,
- Being sad or having a bad mood.
- Do not feel inclined to do the work of your choice.
- Loss of body weight and change in sleep patterns.
- Fatigue and difficulty concentrating.
- Consider yourself a burden on everyone.
- feeling of guilt.
- Insomnia and lethargy.
- Inexplicable pain and mental restlessness.
- Depression and loss of self-esteem.
- Irritability and anxiety.
- Indecision, chaos and stress.
- Do not pay any attention to your health and cleanliness of the body.
- Failure to do routine work.
- Trying to stay away from family, society and friends and spending time alone.
- Forgetting to laugh and smile and there is sadness, tension and nervousness on the face.
- Severe cases of depression include thoughts of dying or suicide, or sometimes even attempting suicide.
Major causes of depression among Indian college students
- Loneliness –College students who live in a hostel or PG away from their home, often feel lonely and then, if they do not get good friends in their college too, they suffer from depression.
- family troubles –Many times the family matters of the students also make them a victim of depression, for example, if there has been a divorce between the parents of the students, then those students sometimes suffer from depression. The financial crisis of the family or the atmosphere of fighting and quarreling in the family also makes the students depressed persons.
- physical pain and illness –It is a common thing for physically weak and more ill students or students troubled by any disease or disability to become depressed.
- Bullying and Discrimination –If school/college students are frequently unnecessarily bullied and harassed by other students in their class or school/college, or if students are discriminated against because of their caste, religion, economic background or appearance Those students become victims of depression.
- loss and grief –If a special friend or relative of the students goes away from them or passes away untimely, then those students become victims of shock and depression.
Indian college students and other people adopt these effective measures to avoid depression
We are discussing below some simple yet useful ways for you to overcome depression, which you can adopt in your daily life and lead a depression-free healthy life:
- Meditation, exercise, dance and yoga drive away depression immediately. You include them in your daily routine.
- Often by doing something new or by changing your daily routine, you will feel refreshed and you will be saved from depression. By keeping yourself mostly busy, you will avoid depression.
- The habit of smiling and expressing gratitude will also make you a happier person.
- Our depression goes away by spending time with small and innocent children and also by playing with them.
- By living in a natural environment, taking a walk in a park or garden in the morning and evening can also keep you healthy and depression-free. Taking morning sunlight daily, the rays of the sun do not allow the deficiency of vitamin D in our body and our body and mind remain healthy.
- If you are upset then you can also fix your mood by listening to the song and music you want. According to a paper report, listening to good music reduces depression by 25 percent.
- By taking a healthy diet, you will avoid depression because if we take vitamin B-12 and omega-3 in our foods daily, then we are saved from depression.
- Pet-animals and birds also keep our mood good. Now all over the world depressed people are advised to keep pets so that their loneliness and depression goes away.
- Aroma therapy means that depression also runs away from us with the help of aroma because the desired aroma keeps our mind and heart fresh.
- We can also fight depression successfully by interacting with our special friends or trusted relatives.
- Motivational books, plays, TV serials and movies also fill us with enthusiasm and we forget our depression and accept life as a challenge.
- We can avoid depression by setting positive goals of our life and then, by working hard to achieve them, for example, by limiting our needs and desires, if we live with our income or pocket money, then we will get satisfaction and We will remain depression-free by avoiding unnecessary stress.
- By learning a particular hobby, such as painting, singing, puzzle solving, gardening, pottery or a musical instrument, and then making that hobby or habit a part of our daily routine, we also avoid depression.
- Along with our physical exercise, the desired sports are also successful treatment of depression.
- By forgiving and forgetting the mistakes of other people, we also avoid depression.
Effective Professional Expertise and Therapies for Depression
- e-therapy – In this therapy, the depressed person is cured with the help of technology. Depressed person joins online therapy program and on completion of this program the attitude of the person becomes positive.
- cognitive behavior therapy – In this therapy, by understanding the thinking and behavior of the person, positive changes are brought in them so that the person has a positive attitude about life.
- Online forums and support groups – People who were previously suffering from depression and are now living a healthy life after surviving this depression, they help depressed college students / persons overcome depression by giving their suggestions through online forums and support groups.
- psychological help – If you are seriously affected by depression and your depression has increased so much that your routine life is also getting spoiled…..then without wasting time get yourself treated by a qualified psychiatrist.
- NGO Help – In our country some NGOs like Aasra are also helping depressed and suicidal people through 24×7 helpline (+91-22-27546669).
Therefore, to live a healthy life by avoiding depression, you should work with courage and patience and recognize this depression in time and remove this depression from your life by adopting all the above methods or getting treatment from a doctor / psychiatrist if needed. Drive away and then try to save other depressed people from the disease of depression by inspiring them because healthy body and mind are the first condition of our all round progress.
You can visit our website www.jagranjosh.com to get more information about jobs, interviews, careers, colleges, educational institutes, academic and professional courses and read latest articles.
Other Important Links
These are effective ways to avoid depression for college students
College students can stay stress free by adopting these methods
These are effective stress management techniques that increase your stress level.